Follow Me

Monday, August 19, 2013

Looking at Art


A few years ago I just couldn't leave Target without this Thought Bubble White Board, and I finally found a use for it that I like.

Now I can display artworks and allow students to choose appropriate descriptors. The more they search for words that work the more they will see in the artwork itself.

This ties in nicely with a little game I like to play called "Tell Me what You See".
I often play this with my students when looking at a new work of art. The First phase of art criticism is Observation. In this game students are asked to tell me what they see in as close to one word as possible. For the artwork above students might call out words like "rain", "buildings", "dark", "glow".... I think this is a fun way to get students to notice something new in art without having to point it out to them.  Ultimately the more words they come up with the more the students SEE.



3 comments:

  1. Thanks Michele. I borrowed this for my classroom. It's still early days and not every students is taking it seriously but we're working on it. I've even had some positive comments from teachers who have seen it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Carol! That is awesome to hear:) I recently made larger magnetic word cards for class discussions. I have been really impressed w/ how my Ss are opening up & how it gets some kids talking that may not know what to say.

    ReplyDelete