Follow Me

Monday, November 11, 2013

I'm a Little Scarecrow


Kindergarten has been learning about shapes and that the whole wide world is made up of them.

After practicing drawing shapes, going on a shape hunt, and pointing out shapes around the room and school students put their knowledge to the test.

We used shapes to create these adorable puppets.



We talked about scarecrows around the world. I found a lot of great information at this site...
http://home.comcast.net/~minelson/history_of_scarecrows.htm

We talked about places we see scarecrows, what they look like, what their job is, and what time of year we see them the most.


To get students excited, I taught them the song and motions to "I'm a Little Scarecrow".


I'm a Little Scarecrow
(sung to the tune of I'm a Little Teapot)


I'm a little scarecrow,(Point to self)


Raggedy and worn(Stand with arms out like a scarecrow)


I wear a hat,(touch top of head with one hand)


And my shirt is torn(touch shirt with other hand)


When the crows fly here,(flap arms)


I wave and shout,(wave arms)


"Away from my Garden, Now get out!"(make 'shooing' motions with hands)


I found this song at www.dltk-kids.com. The Kids LOVED it!






We embellished the Scarecrows with raffia (better for the allergies) and buttons. I also gave them an opportunity to make anything they wanted, out of scrap paper, to add to their Scarecrow Puppet. My personal favorite was when a student added back pockets!

This project was a lot of fun and really exciting my students.


No comments:

Post a Comment