Follow Me

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

The Busy Tree

Olive Art's Picture Book Parade introduces... The Busy Tree               5                                                                 

Published: 2009 Author: Jennifer Ward Illustrator: Lisa Falkenstern

This book is a beautifully illustrated rhyming story about all of the natural functions a tree serves. It's home to many, food for some, cleans our air, and provides shade on a hot day.

The images in this book are lovely and realistic showing many of God's creatures in their natural habitat.

This book could be great for a journaling activity. I did this a few times with sunflowers. I had students plant sunflowers and then make a journal. Each time they came to art we took a little time during class for students to sketch and write what they saw happening with their sunflower.
This might be fun to do with a tree. I wonder if we would be to noisy to see the wildlife? I wonder how it would change from week to week.

*The Picture Book Parade!

This series of posts is designed to meet the needs of graduate class, I am currently enrolled in, titled Teaching Art & Literacy through picture books.
One of my assignments is to read, review, reflect, and be inspired by 20 picture books that are new to me and find a way to share them with my classmates, colleges, & PLN. 

 The Ideas shared will not be ideas I have tried and executed, simply sparks of inspiration derived from a short and colorful read. 

I am hoping that these ideas might develop over time, as I water them in my minds and let what's left of my summer vacation shine and pull out the greatness, that is a totally awesome new lesson for my students. One can hope!

So sit back and enjoy the series of posts I am calling the Picture Book Parade!

No comments:

Post a Comment