Follow Me

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

For Just One Day

Olive Art's Picture Book Parade introduces...  For Just One Day               2                                                                         


Published: 2009 Author: Laura Leuck  Illustrator: Marc Boutavat   

The images in this book are so sweet and take you back to childhood. I feel anyone could connect with the idea of imagining you were an animal. The overall premise of this book is that, while I might like to be a bee or a whale for just one day… The best person to be is me.

The educational possibilities are endless when it comes to books about “it’s good to be me” or “if I could be”. Seriously, IDEAS IDEAS IDEAS!

I like this book as a good example of choosing a limited color palette.

I would love to use this book in collaboration with a grade level teacher and have students do writings about “who” or "what" they would like to be for “Just one Day”. 
We could do exquisite corpses, self portraits, or transformation drawings/ paintings.'


I could also see writing poetry as an option to accompany a side by side animal drawing and self-portraits. We could make connections between ourselves and animals, how they live, and their environments.

Maybe we could even draw on transparency (self- portrait & animal) and then allow the animal to lay over or use Do ink and Do ink green screen to animate self into the environment/ animal life.

*The Picture Book Parade!

This series of posts is designed to meet the needs of graduate class, I am currently enrolled in, titled Teaching Art & Literacy through picture books.
One of my assignments is to read, review, reflect, and be inspired by 20 picture books that are new to me and find a way to share them with my classmates, colleges, & PLN. 

 The Ideas shared will not be ideas I have tried and executed, simply sparks of inspiration derived from a short and colorful read. 

I am hoping that these ideas might develop over time, as I water them in my minds and let what's left of my summer vacation shine and pull out the greatness, that is a totally awesome new lesson for my students. One can hope!

So sit back and enjoy the series of posts I am calling the Picture Book Parade!

No comments:

Post a Comment