Follow Me

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

What does the X-Ray Say?

Olive Art's Picture Book Parade introduces... What does the X-Ray Say? 3                                                                       


Published: 2011 
Written & Illustrated by:  2nd Grade Students of Longfellow Elementary in West Allis, Wisconsin  


This book was published as part of Scholastic's, yearly, Kids are the Authors Competition. I have read a number of books published though this contest and have always found them to be well worth the read and this one is no different. I was given this book as a gift from a student and have not gotten around to reading it the whole way through. Now that I have I'm glad I did! 




The beautiful black, white, and gray illustrations were created, by students, utilizing painting and collage techniques. It starts by sharing a little girl being x-rayed for a hurt neck and then goes on to show x-rays of various animals and people and the things that the doctor found inside.

Along with the fun story and cool images, the book includes images from the making of the book. On this 2 page spread you can see the students researching, exploring, playing, and creating.

Just As I imagine these students did, students could write poetry about what was swallowed and how. Students could create collages or drawings to depict the x ray. I could see this being done on a large paper with a cut out flap, where you could open and see what the X-Ray reveals.

Another idea that i like is a skeletal study. Looking at bones and drawing from medical mannequins. 

Of course another option would be to join in on the contest and work as a class to make your own book! 


*The Picture Book Parade!

This series of posts is designed to meet the needs of graduate class, I am currently enrolled in, titled Teaching Art & Literacy through picture books.
One of my assignments is to read, review, reflect, and be inspired by 20 picture books that are new to me and find a way to share them with my classmates, colleges, & PLN. 

 The Ideas shared will not be ideas I have tried and executed, simply sparks of inspiration derived from a short and colorful read. 

I am hoping that these ideas might develop over time, as I water them in my minds and let what's left of my summer vacation shine and pull out the greatness, that is a totally awesome new lesson for my students. One can hope!

So sit back and enjoy the series of posts I am calling the Picture Book Parade!

No comments:

Post a Comment