Follow Me

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Open This Little Book

Olive Art's Picture Book Parade introduces... Open This Little Book        6                                                             


Published: 2013 Author: Jesse Klausmeier Illustrator: Suzy Lee

After raiding one of our second grade teachers amazing book collections, today, and having her excitedly place book after book in my hands explaining it's greatness, it was SO HARD to choose which one to read first. My decision was made easy by on that said "Open this Little Book" on the cover.

As if the cover weren't cute enough, the surprises inside only get better. Inside 2 big pages (fake out), a little book is sandwiched with pages that get progressively smaller. This is a tricky color book, that may leave you laughing about what you just read and encourages you to open another!

I could see a classroom teacher using this book to introduce a reading challenge where students are encouraged to read lots of books.

In art is could be used as an example pattern, as each "book" has a unique repeat pattern and to share creative thinking in book design.

*The Picture Book Parade!

This series of posts is designed to meet the needs of graduate class, I am currently enrolled in, titled Teaching Art & Literacy through picture books.
One of my assignments is to read, review, reflect, and be inspired by 20 picture books that are new to me and find a way to share them with my classmates, colleges, & PLN. 

 The Ideas shared will not be ideas I have tried and executed, simply sparks of inspiration derived from a short and colorful read. 

I am hoping that these ideas might develop over time, as I water them in my minds and let what's left of my summer vacation shine and pull out the greatness, that is a totally awesome new lesson for my students. One can hope!

So sit back and enjoy the series of posts I am calling the Picture Book Parade!

No comments:

Post a Comment