Follow Me

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Red Sings from Treetops

Olive Art's Picture Book Parade introduces... 
Red Sings from Treetops: a year in colors        16                             




Published: 
2009 Author: Joyce Sidman Illustrator: Pamela Zagarenski 

When I selected this book I was originally thinking maybe there would be a nice music tie it. I didn't realize the seasonal poetry that awaited inside. Each poem flows into the next highlighting a color and it's presence in a each season. The folk art imagery is absolutely beautiful. I especially love the image of the couple, sitting on a dock, with their feet in the water, sipping from a swirly straw. 


I love the idea of connecting feeling to colors and this book is a great example what colors represent to each of us in our hearts. I could see a fun unit where make connections between colors and emotions. Each day they could be given a color and be asked to close their eyes and free write what comes to mind. I think it would be neat to compare the uninterrupted stream of consciousness that flows from each child. Similarly, students could draw what comes to mind when they think of a color. 

This could make a great class bookmaking project. Were pairs of students create and write about the color connections they make. 


*The Picture Book Parade!

This series of posts is designed to meet the needs of graduate class, I am currently enrolled in, titled Teaching Art & Literacy through picture books.
One of my assignments is to read, review, reflect, and be inspired by 20 picture books that are new to me and find a way to share them with my classmates, colleges, & PLN. 

 The Ideas shared will not be ideas I have tried and executed, simply sparks of inspiration derived from a short and colorful read. 

I am hoping that these ideas might develop over time, as I water them in my minds and let what's left of my summer vacation shine and pull out the greatness, that is a totally awesome new lesson for my students. One can hope!

So sit back and enjoy the series of posts I am calling the Picture Book Parade!


No comments:

Post a Comment