Follow Me

Friday, August 8, 2014

Sammy Sloth's Big Golf Torney

Olive Art's Picture Book Parade introduces...  
Sammy Sloth's Big Golf Torney                    20                                


Published: 
2011 By: Coach Sloth

Today I am wrapping up the Picture Book Parade with Sammy Sloth's Big Golf Torney.
I love finding books that speak to specific student interests, but this book wasn't just about golf, it's a book for everyone. This book repeats and reveals the importance of believing in yourself and having confidence that you can and will achieve your goals. The story is told by 2 animal commentators and Sammy Sloth's, Turtle Coach. My favorite image depicts a shark playing golf! The hilarious images carry from one page to the next.

We can all relate to and appreciate the importance in believing in oneself. Having positive self-talk is of utmost importance in sports and trying new challenges. I could see myself or another teacher pulling this book out in just that kind of moment.

Students could make artwork/writings about times when they learned about perseverance or really had to be confident in their self to reach a goal.

Read books from Coach Sloth on his website http://coachsloth.com/index.html 

*The Picture Book Parade!

This series of posts is designed to meet the needs of graduate class, I am currently enrolled in, titled Teaching Art & Literacy through picture books.
One of my assignments is to read, review, reflect, and be inspired by 20 picture books that are new to me and find a way to share them with my classmates, colleges, & PLN. 

 The Ideas shared will not be ideas I have tried and executed, simply sparks of inspiration derived from a short and colorful read. 

I am hoping that these ideas might develop over time, as I water them in my minds and let what's left of my summer vacation shine and pull out the greatness, that is a totally awesome new lesson for my students. One can hope!


So sit back and enjoy the series of posts I am calling the Picture Book Parade!

No comments:

Post a Comment