Follow Me

Monday, August 11, 2014

Situpon

Do you remember bringing your carpet square to the floor to sit for story time?

I just loved this grad assignment & had to share.

For an Art & Literacy Independent Study course I am enrolled in I was asked to paint a "carpet", to create a reading mat, inspired by my favorite book as a child or a book I like now.

I wanted to do something I could enjoy in my classroom so I turned to an all time favorite, The Dot, by Peter Reynolds. I think many art educators and creative minds will agree that this book is a must on every young artists shelf. After sketching and painting an old welcome mat white. This is what I came up with.



If you are looking for a way to collaborate with classroom teachers and make a work of functional art, I think this might interest you!

I think this will excite kids about reading and create an enjoyable, personal reading space with very little effort, time, and/or material, not to mention decorating skill.


2 comments:

  1. I really like this idea--I remember using situpons in Girl Scouts and the kiddos I teach at camp love to grab their carpet squares when we sit and chat…What a great way to Integrate the arts and work with classroom teachers. Thanks for getting me thinking! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mrs. P. I loved this idea as well, Share pictures if you try it out!

    ReplyDelete